HESTIA is an EU funded project developing a mix of Technological, Innovative and Social Sciences & Humanities models approaches to improve the management and use of energy by and for residential consumers.
HESTIA aims to develop a cost-effective solution for the next-generation demand-side response services by encouraging residential consumers to engage in flexibility sharing and grid balancing.
User-personalised services will help lay the foundation for an open marketplace and new grid reality.
By integrating state-of-the-art and emerging ICT tools to enable the next generation of Demand
Response services for residential communities
By piloting the HESTIA solution on three residential demo setups with different infrastructural, climatic and market contexts (IT, FR and NL)
By developing efficient business models, understanding current adoption barriers and defining viable plans for the large-scale replication of the HESTIA solution
Social & Technology Innovation Approach
- Agent-based optimal control of smart-grids
- DR strategy for flexibility management at community level
- Improved predictability of consumer behaviour for optimal grid balancing
- Non-intrusive consumption data analytics
- User benchmarking and profiling: a hybrid machine learning based approach
- Innovative performance measurement & verification methodology
- HESTIA cloud-based ICT platform
- Hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) testing
- A holistic optimisation approach
- Integration with underlying energy systems and assets:
- Distributed management, smart billing and market integration:
- Synergy between energy and non-energy services, such as mobility
- Assisted living services (appliance level scheduling and comfort control)
- Integration with energy storage for smart energy buffering and releasing
- Exploitation of energy efficiency in multi-carrier energy dispatching
- Identify optimal supply mix to satisfy specific load
- Engage the end consumers and involve them in energy and flexibility sharing activities
- Cross-fertilization of financial, environmental and social drivers
- Raise awareness of communities (energy conservation recommendations, estimated energy performance, monitored data, information about incentives and energy pricing)
- Adaptation for the behaviour of residents within a cooperative DR strategy
- Maximize impact through innovative business models and exploitation plans
The HESTIA consortium is composed of 19 partners from 9 countries (Italy, France, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Ireland, Denmark and Serbia), gathering energy service providers, pilot sites, R&D institutions, public authorities, industrial, technological, consulting & investment companies.
HESTIA is part of the Bridge Initiative. BRIDGE is a European Commission initiative uniting Horizon 2020 Smart Grid, Energy Storage, Islands, and Digitalisation Projects to create a structured view of cross-cutting issues which are encountered in the demonstration projects and may constitute an obstacle to innovation. BRIDGE allow projects to deliver conclusions and recommendations about the future exploitation of the project results, with a single voice, through four different Working Groups representing the main areas of interest: Data management, Business models, Regulations and User Engagement.